If hubby is in a cranky mood, all I have to do is Breakfast in bed with these!
Almond Jammin’ Stuffed French Toast
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
A smooth delightful stuffed French toast with sweet cream and jam filling smothered with almonds.
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1½ cup jam or preserves (your choice of flavor)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 12 sliced 1 – inch thick
Garnish – confectioner’s sugar and slivered almonds
- Using an electric hand or stand mixer (we use Sunbeam), beat the cream cheese, sour cream, confectioner’s sugar, and almond extract until light and creamy. Transfer the cream mixture to a bowl and cool in the refrigerator.
- In a flat based container, beat the eggs, milk and vanilla extract.
- Make a deep cut in the center of each slice of bread to form a pocket.
- Spoon a heaping teaspoon of jam inside the formed pocket of each piece of bread.
- Remove the cream filling from the refrigerator. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of the filling inside the formed pocket of each slice.
- Gently compress the opening of the pockets closed.
- Heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat.
- Spray the pan with non-stick spray
- Soak a slice of bread in the egg mixture on each of its side. Do this to as many sliced that will fit in the pan comfortably. Cook each side of the French toast until light golden brown. Do this until all twelve slices are cooked.
- To finish the dish off, dust each slice with confectioner’s sugar and slivered almonds. Left over jam and cream can also be spooned on top of each slice.
- Serve with maple syrup