Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake Supreme
- 2 ¼ cup finely crushed hard chocolate cookies such as Oreos
- ¼ cup finely chopped walnuts
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 3 8 ounce packages cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup milk
- 4 ounces semi sweet or milk chocolate (divided in half)
- 1 small package strawberries
- 1 recipe of cream cheese frosting
- For Crust, combine crushed chocolate cookies, walnuts, and cinnamon. Stir in melted butter. Reserve ¼ cup of the crumb mixture for topping. Grease bottom and sides of pan with shortening. Press the remaining crumb mixture onto the bottom and about 2 inches up sides of an 8 or 9 inch spring form pan. Set pan aside.
- For filling, in a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese, sugar, flour, and vanilla with an electric mixer till combined. Add eggs and egg yolk all at once, beating on low speed just till combined. Stir in milk. Reserve 1 ½ cups of filling in a separate bowl.
- Melt 2 ounces of chocolate and mix until well blended with reserved filling. Set aside.
- Pour original filling into crust-lined pan. With a spatula, put dollops of reserved chocolate filling randomly in original filling. Using a knife, swirl through the chocolate into the original filling.
- Place on a shallow baking pan in oven. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes for the 8 inch pan, 35 to 40 minutes for the 9 inch pan, or till center appears nearly set when shaken.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Loosen the crust from sides of pan and cool for 30 minutes more. Remove the sides of the pan; cool cheesecake completely. Cover and chill at least 4 hours before decorating.
- Top cheesecake with Cream Cheese Frosting avoiding getting any on sides. Crumble reserved cookie/walnut/butter mixture evenly over top of cheesecake. Melt 2 ounces of chocolate and put in piping bag. Using a small straight tip, Pipe chocolate in strips on top of crumb mixture. Leave at least 8 strawberries whole and Slice strawberries thinly. Place sliced strawberries on a plate and sprinkle with sugar if desired. Lay sliced strawberries on top of cheesecake. Put one whole strawberry on the edge of the cheesecake in the middle of each piece of cheesecake that will be cut.
Makes 8 to 16 servings.
Decadent chocolate, juicy strawberries with that New York style cheesecake sitting on top of nutty, chocolate-crumb crust. What more could you ask for!!! A springform pan makes this one a cinch and the decorations on top make a beautiful display.
One thing we would change on this would be after spreading on the frosting, lay the strawberries on top and then add the chocolate crumb topping and then pipe on the chocolate. Makes a prettier picture.